Re: Re: Re: Re: Practicing Jazz

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carl on April 12, 1999 at 05:00:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Practicing Jazz posted by Joe Sellmansberger on April 11, 1999 at 21:56:43:

Joe wrote:
>I would not "rate" these two artists against each other.

Wasn't my intention to do so either. Brian asked how to learn to play jazz. Rich advocated the "regurgitated pattern" method. I take issue with this method; I feel it has little to do with *creativity*, and actually helps hide any genuine musical ideas the player might have.

>Later, they can even abandon this system totally if they develop enough of their own >ideas to take its place . . .That would be up to the strengths of their talents and >pursuits.

Gotta disagree: habits, once formed, are hard to break. Sure, one can play a tolerable solo using Rich's system, but the player comes to rely on his licks, ignoring whatever innate "inner music" he may have. The pre-packaged licks become his only vocabulary. And once led down this path, the chances of him turning away are negligible. Then he's just a "lick player", unlike the true jazz greats.

An analogy: If you were going to learn a language, would you rely ONLY on a phrase book, ("Which way to the restroom?", etc.), or would you try to learn the words, syntax, idioms, and maybe some of the culture and history of the speakers?

Follow Ups: