Re: mouthpiece for an old Conn 20K

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on April 26, 1999 at 12:16:35:

In Reply to: mouthpiece for an old Conn 20K posted by Clarence T. on April 26, 1999 at 09:48:18:

The 20K used to come with (still comes with?) a 'modernistic' mouthpiece called shaped like a funnel on the outside and based on one of the Helleberg designs called a CONN 2. I don't know if it is still available separately, but they can be had used often. It was listed in the Brasswind catalog a couple of years ago, but isn't in the most recent one. Similar in shape is the Schilke 66, although I haven't compared the specs of the two mpcs.

I played 20Ks in the '60s and early '70s and play one for the rare parades our community band does now. My experience was that the 20K played most easily with the Conn 2 mouthpiece, and I still use one for the 20K, even though for other horns I have long since moved away from a Bach 24AW or 18. Using the Conn 2, a 20K speaks very easily, is pretty accurate and has a wonderful high register. The bottom is there as well, but requires (for me anyway) a little more effort to get down below the EE into false tones. (I sure miss the 4valve 20K (did that make it a 24K?) my high school had)

Follow Ups: