Constant Pitch Center?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on April 02, 2001 at 14:07:27:

Due to the recent discussion of Monette and his Mouthpieces, I went back and read up on his website his philosophies about horns and mouthpieces and all of that other stuff. However, I still don't see the "magic" behind his mouthpieces. I already do what he states to do with his mouthpieces and get the same results as he states, that being being right in the middle of the slot (constant pitch center). Now my big issue is that his mouthpieces only do this and that we have to pay $350 for it? I have played his mouthpieces and they are good, but not good enough for me to buy one as they don't correct any problems, in fact the pitch is incosistant in the same registers, and more slides had to be pulled. I understand he has a quality product, but what is his constant pitch center? Why aren't other manufacturers copying it? Why doesn't he explain the technical ways and means behind it? I am not trying to insult those who use these mouthpieces or the maker himself, but I am curious as to why and how his mouthpieces are worth $350. How do they match up with different horns? Just curious as to what the meaning behind his moutpieces are besides some added mass and an open throat.
Matt G

Follow Ups: