Re: Re: Re: Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony Labelle on April 03, 2001 at 16:21:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia posted by Jay on April 03, 2001 at 14:40:58:

Well, I didn't so much mean "pay" in a monetary sense.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather be a member of a social group that accepts me based on my own merits, and not on my willingness to be someone's "bitch" for the first semester of my freshman year of college, or my ability to memorize 6 dozen names and dates(you could spend that time practicing! ;-). A sense of belonging is an important thing, yes. If conforming to someone elses pre-defined expectations(rather than creating your own) is what you need to do to achieve a "sense of belonging", then more power too you. My personal opinion, though, is that no good can come of any exclusive social organization, ESPECIALLY when mixed with an educational establishment. I've been involved with music programs at two Universities with Chapters of Phi Mu Alpha, and two without(one with no frats whatsoever). The natural bond between the music students at the schools without Sinfonia, and the musical productiveness of the programs overall, is exponentially greater(in my experience). Nothing against Phi Mu Alpha, just my general observations on school sponsored social organizations.

f.w.i.w.

Anthony Labelle

Follow Ups: