Re: Re: Re: King UB tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on April 04, 2001 at 07:34:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: King UB tubas posted by Steve Inman on April 03, 2001 at 18:45:07:

Steve,

I played a MW 25 at the same time as I tried out the new King at Dillons to have a direct comparison. I found the King more comfortable to hold and play, and to have a more "centered" sound. The King also had better response for me, that is the notes speak immediately. The MW had a fuller sound, but the notes weren't as centered. This is one reason that I would consider the King a very good choice as a student horn.

I spent a lot of time on the low end of the King because I thought that the small bore may be an issue, but I had no problems down to the CCC, which is about the bottom of my useful range anyway. I could get more volume out of the low end on the MW 25, but it wasn't significant. I didn't check intonation on either with a tuner, but to my ear (very amateur) at least they both sounded in tune.

I owned the old model King 2341 before switching to my current horn. The reason I switched was that I wasn't happy with the projection in the low range of the King. If I had this horn I probably wouldn't have switched. Of course each sample of the same model instrument will play a little differently, but if the rest of the new Kings are like this one I would definitely consider it a good choice for a full time horn.

Follow Ups: