Re: Re: Easter Gig

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 06, 2001 at 12:02:42:

In Reply to: Re: Easter Gig posted by Joe Baker on April 06, 2001 at 10:26:03:

Joe, I'm glad you brought this up. As a non-pro, I usually have not gotten paid for church gigs. I have seen professional musicians at those gigs, however, who played beautifully, and then adopted such pained or sneering expressions during the non-musical part of the service that one women wondered if we should retire their chairs to avoid making someone "sit in the seat of scoffers."

I would say that those of you who get paid to play at churches, remember that even if you don't believe the message, you are paid to provide music, not opinions, however "silently" expressed.

I once played in a band that was hired to provide music for the NRA national convention. There was a lot of soul-searching from many anti-NRA members of the band, but they all showed up anyhow. One of the advantages of being an amateur, as Joe eloquently states, is the ability to turn down a gig that presents an unpalatable (to the musician) message.

On the other hand, I know a pro who was embarassed when he was quite visible on national television, playing in the band at a political-party gig. The presidential candidate that year (Clinton) was at the event, hence the coverage. The fellow took no end of good-natured abuse from his Republican buddies. But he still played the gig. Despite his embarassment, his primary qualification for a valid customer was one whose check didn't bounce.

One of the best musical experiences of my life was playing Poulenc's Gloria at a church gig. I wasn't paid, which left me free to be an amateur. The trombone player sitting next to me was paid, and he was a pro. In fact, he was Donald Knaub. He at least acted like he wanted to be there, and I know that he did not get paid nearly what a musician of his stature deserves. I don't know if he bought into the message, but he was there. I also have to say that I didn't particularly agree with much of that particular church's priorities, as presented by what was said, but I figured it wasn't me saying it. The part that I "said" (the music) had as much of my view on things poured into it as possible, within the limits of my musical abilities. I know what God heard.

An interesting question for Joe that has troubled me many times. Why do churches pay professional musicians? In some ways (not all) I'd rather play with the schoolkids who don't sound at all like the tape track, if they go to the church and are committed to the message. I wonder how many members of the congregation at some of these churches believe that the orchestra is home grown, just because they recognize a few faces.

As to the inability of getting a recognizable beat pattern from most church choir directors, I'm right there with you.

Rick "who has played many church gigs and even been paid for a few" Denney

Follow Ups: