Re: Re: Easter Gig

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on April 06, 2001 at 14:29:53:

In Reply to: Re: Easter Gig posted by Joe Baker on April 06, 2001 at 10:26:03:

I learned well from two masters. One of them, George Black, told me that if I weren't going to take EVERY job I was offered, I would not make it as a pro. Even Bill Bell played Irish weddings while employed by the NYPO. The second, Max Janofski, hired me to sing in his choir when I really needed the money. I was a not a good singer but could sight read. The choir was good (I stood next to Sherril Milnes) and did several services per week-end starting with Friday night and Saturday morning in a Synagog, Saturday noon in a Messianic Church, Sunday at 6:30 AM in a Catholic Cathedral (2 masses) and Sunday mid-morning for two Prebyterian Services. We performed in Hebrew, Latin and Englsih and I earned about $65 - $70 each week. In High Holy Services and Christmas and Easter the fee was doubled. If I had religious scruples about taking money for performing, I got over them very quickly. If I cared what the religious leader said, I got over it very quickly. I had enough training in manners that I did not openly scorn anyone. I was surrounded by pros who offered me guidance when I was uncertain of how to behave. All of this had nothing to do with my religious beliefs but it had everything to do with my musical training for which I earned the money. I don't think I could have learned from two better masters than those two and I don't think I could have worked with better professionals than the ones I worked with in those days, from 1958 through 1980. If you are a pro, you play and take the money. And always get a contract.

Follow Ups: