Congrates Univ. of Michigan

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Grant on April 06, 2001 at 22:43:58:

I just returned from what may be the finest symphony band performance I have ever heard!
The University of Michigan Symphony Band held it's Farwell Concert to H. Robert Reynolds
(H. Bob to many of his students and fans)after 26 years at the helm. Maestro Reynolds was splendid as was the ensemble. I could go on at great length about every piece but I will sum it up with "spectacular". It was a joy to hear such a fine group playing one-#(AT)*!-uv-
a program. The pieces performed with a quick review were:

"Wiener Philharmoniker Fanfare" by Richard Strauss. All brass, lots of 'em and solid!
"Symphony in B-flat" by Paul Hindemith. Again, just awesome ensemble playing
"Lullaby for Kirsten" by Lelsie Bassett. Real purty!
"Rosa Parks Boulevard" by Michael Daugherty (premier performance). Featured Professor David Jackson and students Alexandra Zacharella on bones and student Garrett Mendez on bass bone. Go right now to your directors house, get him or her out of bed and say "I am not leaving until you buy this piece!" It was so cool. The type of piece that the players & the audience will love (you're band will need a killer percussion section for starters).
"Lincolnshire Posy" by Percy Grainger. The crescendos in this were not crescendo's, they were huge swells that rose like giant waves, encompassing the entire auditorium. Moving!!
"Song for Band" by William Bolcolm (also a premier, written for H. Bob's retirement)
Nice horn work. Very lush and purty!
"First Suite in E-flat" by Gustav Holst. Beautiful!
Encore was Grainger's "Irish Tune" (Danny Boy) Again, just beautiful.

Hats off to Euphonium players Benjamin Pierce, Misturu Saito, Miller Asbill & Kristof Schneider and to tubists Travis Siehndel, Kevin Wass, Anthony Halloin, Matthew Lyon & Louis Kline. Check those names out for you will see them again (if you haven't already) in the tuba & euphonium future. Kudos again to H. Robert Reynolds and also to Fritz Kaenzig for his tremendous studio!

Follow Ups: