Re: Re: Re: Meinl Weston 25

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on April 09, 2001 at 11:46:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Meinl Weston 25 posted by Jack Smith on April 09, 2001 at 06:47:35:

My OPINION was made after playing both bak-to-back for an extended period of time over two days. I found the ergonomics on the MW to be poor. It is a very heavy horn that does not balance well. I was also disappointed about the proximity of the slides and my comfort level of getting to all of them. Next, the MW was just plain stuffy. It was stuufy at a PP and was stuffier when you put the gas to it. Many who listened felt it had little or no projection. The pitch was rock solid. The VMI was not as well constructed as well, but was lighter and more agile. The sound jumped out of the horn and the low register in particular was explosive. The slides were a nightmare to get to, but the pitch was so stable I only needed to slush pump from pedal Eb down. Did I feel either to be the superior horn? Not given the other instruments out there. I actually prefer my YBB-641 to both of them and a Mirafone 186 next. Both instruments were tough to hold. I am 6'2" and still felt that both leadpipes were too high. The MW valves were much better. I am sure that people out there will love either instrument, but I found both of them lacking for me, hence the strong emphasis on "OPINION". FWIW, the back to back playing was done with the following MP's: 24AW, 24AW Meagatone, Conn 7B, Conn Large, Schilke 67, Yamaha Bobo Symphonic. The following excerpts and etudes were played: alot of Blazevitch Prokofiev-"Montagues and Capulets" Wagner-Ride and Meistersinger, Strauss- Battle Scene form Heldenleben, Prokofievs 5th and 1812. I had 5 different people listening in a 2,000 seat concert hall.

Follow Ups: