Re: Back pains

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 09, 2001 at 12:48:02:

In Reply to: Back pains posted by Steve on April 08, 2001 at 21:27:42:

Been there, done that.

I'm having difficulties myself at the present, similar but not nearly as bad as a six-month period of severe pain radiating down my right leg about ten years ago. Here were the causes:

Overweight (I tend in the pot-belly direction). This was a problem 10 years ago, but not now (or, at least, about 65 pounds less of a problem). Consider this an exacerbating factor if it applies.

Congenital. I have a touch of spondylolisthesis, which is a forward displacement of the 5th lumbar vertebra. This is part of the reason I've always looked like I had a pot-belly, even when I'm not overweight. This is also not a real cause, but a factor.

Eye problem. I have a muscle imbalance in my eyes that makes is easier to see when I look to the right and when my head is tilted a little to the left. The tilted head throws my whole body out of balance--shoulder tilt right and hips tilt left. This is probably the real cause for me, but there ain't nothing I can do 'bout it.

Tight hamstrings. This keeps your back from assuming its proper arch, especially when you sit. The damage may be caused when you sit, but the pain may not be there unless you are standing. Again, a contributing factor.

Weak abdominal muscles. I'm beginning to believe that this is the real common factor for tuba players. I have strong abs that result from extensive endurance-sport activity over the last five years or so. I can easily do 100 crunches without stopping. But all that strength goes for nothing if your abs are not supporting your back, or if your back muscles aren't balances in strength. The problem is that as tuba players, we are taught to keep our entire abdominal wall relaxed, and we support our front half from our back muscles. As tuba players, we have to learn to strengthen our back muscles and use them to support our backs when we are not playing the horn, while still being able to relax them when we are playing the horn. Some people have the relaxation thing going fine, but then have back problems (me included). I don't think it's a coincidence that my recent flare-up is happening about the same time as a marked increase in tuba playing accompanied by a ten-pound weight gain as a result of a Winter of Content.

The cure: Stretching and flexibility exercises (get instructions from a good doc--not a doc that thinks muscle relaxants are the only solution--because it is easy to do more harm than good), abdominal and back strength exercises (from the same doc), and a little careful thinking about the difference in posture and support when playing and when not playing.

Rick "who seems to be benefitting from getting back to regular workouts" Denney

Follow Ups: