Re: Back pains

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ron Lapinski on April 09, 2001 at 15:24:29:

In Reply to: Back pains posted by Steve on April 08, 2001 at 21:27:42:

As someone who was bedridden and in tears with lower back spasms twice in the past two years, yet who managed to avoid surgery, I can tell you that there never is no blanket cure that applies to everyone. Here is what helped me:

1.My mother's side of the family has a congenital leg-length discrepancy, with the right leg being shorter than the left leg. Putting a heel lift in my right shoe has helped a lot, so that I am not slightly bent over to one side.

2. Do some deep breathing exercises. Feel your back muscles expand as you s-l-o-w-l-y suck the air into your belly. Repeat at least 5 times (Good for tuba playing too!).

3. Never sit in a chair for longer than 45 minutes. Be sure your chair fits you properly. Use good posture.

4. Keep the heels of your shoes in good repair. Very worn-out heels can cause slight changes in gait that will add to the pain.

5. Stay away from wheat, excessive dairy and sweets. Sounds strange, but it works. The theory is that mild sub-clinical food allergies may add to swelling around the nerve roots where pain exists.

I hope this helps.....

Ron Lapinski
hvbrass(AT)aol.com

Follow Ups: