Re: Re: Re: Re: Conversion of F tubas to Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 09, 2001 at 16:28:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Conversion of F tubas to Eb posted by Gus Pratt on April 09, 2001 at 14:55:36:

I see your logic in extrapolating the fingerings for a 5th ascending valve. Actually, the 2-3-4 low G is not necessarily in tune. Most of my horns work with this fingering but my Willson does not, rendering the low G quite low using 2-3-4. I use 5-2-4 for that one. I'm also not crazy about the idea of using 5-1-3-4 for low Ab either. Of course, we are talking about a substitute for those Berlioz pieces and low Ab's won't be common. I'm just a little hesitant to take this approach again because the last time I decided to look at an Eb that had limitations in the low range, I chose my current Cervany 641. This horn has a really singing high range but it always seems like whenever I want to use it, the piece also goes low enough to make using the Cervany a hard choice. I guess I'm being stubborn in that I want a horn that has a great high range with that singing tone but also doesn't have liabilities in the low range. That's why I've focused on the YFB-621 and it's ability to fit that bill. Thanks for your thoughts!

Follow Ups: