how do you actually improve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fei Huang on April 09, 2001 at 20:37:19:

Hey,
I've noticed that my practicing goes in a circuit. If I practice productively daily for a week or so by the end of the week I will be very in sync with the instrument. That one special day all notes just pop out and everything feels just great. Then due to some circumstance I don't get to play for two days and then all my skills all of a sudden go right down the drain and once I start again even a low Bb doesn't come easy.
My point is that even on those really good days there is still a limit to what I can play. This limit seems to be speed or technical accuracy. On the good days slower material comes out beautifully but even on the best days I still can't play stuff like flight of the bumble bee with decency. So am I really improving or am I just going around in a circle from very bad to pretty good?
I know that the answer is probably no. So how do you actually continuously IMPROVE your playing so that one day you are actually able to play something that was impossible (or incredibly messy and plodding) at one point instead of going in circles and not really going anywhere?

Thanks,
Fei Huang

Follow Ups: