Re: Re: Suggestions: I have trouble with low F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on April 11, 2001 at 00:52:09:

In Reply to: Re: Suggestions: I have trouble with low F posted by Rocky Bivens on April 09, 2001 at 11:01:36:

Learning to play in the low register can be a hit or miss project unless you use a very specific technique. When you play down into the low register you were probably taught to lower your jaw as most of us were. If you will also push your jaw out while doing this, the low register becomes much easier. This opens the throat along with opening the teeth.

Pro players can either just naturally do this or a teacher taught it to them. Harvey Phillips calls it the pivot method. Anchor the mouthpiece on the upper lip. For the low register make the mouthpiece get further away from the lower lip and push the jaw out to reach it. That accomplishes what I said in the first paragraph about pushing the jaw forward as you lower it.

If you are close to a university, call and ask the tuba professor what he/she suggests you do. Getting some instruction, while costing a few bucks, can be money well spent in re-establishing playing technics without the bad habits trying to use this forum or self taught lessons.

A new mouthpiece might be the solution but that is not necessarily the case. Get some instruction, try the technic above, and if neither works, try a new mouthpiece. Use suggestions from the teacher about the mouthpiece to get. Use his experience to your advantage.

Follow Ups: