Trip to the Midwest

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SD on April 12, 2001 at 09:56:24:

Hello All,

I just got back from my trip to Chicago and South Bend. First of all I would like to say that if you have not had a chance to hear the CSO live you are really missing out. No only is Mr. Pokorny one of the nicest people I have ever met, but the things that he can do with the horn are truly awe inspiring. They performed Holst's Planets with the added Pluto movement. What a great piece to hear live!

After I found my way out of Chicago (no small feat for someone from Cheyenne, Wyoming) I made my way to the Woodwind/Brasswind in IN. I had originally thought I was going to have the poke to buy a big CC when I went...but financial matters took a different turn, so I just went out to play. I hope to be ready in December now...but that is a different story for a different time. I thought I would get an idea about what I wanted and I hoped to find the sound I was looking for.

When I first got to the Woodwind and Brasswind Mike Russo was there. I had already started playing some F tubas, just to see if any were better than my Yamaha. He came in ad we talked for a little bit and he pointed out some other F horns to try as well as the beasts that I was really looking at. Even though he knew that I was not going to buy a horn he still took the time to help me out and answer all of my questions. That to me is the sign of a really good salesman.

Before I went out, I was sure that the Willson was what I was going to want. I read all these great things about the sound and I was really looking forward to playing it. Looking back I really should have kept everyone's elses opinions out of my head. I found that the Willson was ok. It had kind of a dull sound to me. I thought that the response was sluggish and that the upper range was really hard to play. I am sure there are many of you out there that are far better players than me that would have no problem with it.

Next I thought I would try the Deck 2165. I ruled this horn out in about two seconds because with my hand size I could not hold the horn without contorting my wrist. I played it anyway and I found the horn to be absolutely unforgiving. The sound was a little better than the Willson but notes were very hard to slot and with the price tag that high I knew it was not the horn for me.

I went for the VMI Piston Culbertson next. I liked the sound a lot on this horn so I played it for quite awhile. I found that on this horn you could get some nice overtones and the low end was quite nice. I did not particularly like the action considering it was a piston horn. I played it some more the next day and I liked it a little bit more.

Against my better judgement I picked up the Rotary Culbertson next. I have never played extensively on rotary valve horns because I always thought they much slower than the pistons. All I can say about this horn is that is was as close to what I wanted in my as any horn that I have ever played! It just seemed to sing for me. The rotor action was faster than any of the piston horns that I played and the second valve tuning lever really makes this horn attractive to me.

The last big horn that I played was the Rudy Meinl. I liked this horn a lot as well. Althought the notes took a little more concentration to line up I think the sound of this horn made up for it. The intonation was a little funky and not as easy to center as the Mel. I would imagine after a year that playing the horn would get easier and be well worth the money.

I tried many BB flats that I liked just for personal reference when people ask what horns are good. But overall I would have to say that I just fell in love with that VMI. I am going to try a few other hornsin different places over the next 7 months but I think that I have found that special horn.

I big thank you to Mike for being so patient with me and for letting me experience all those different horns. If any of you ever have the chance to go to South Bend I say jump on it. 2600 miles later...I am glad that I did.

Sean D.

Follow Ups: