Re: Tuba Colleges

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on April 14, 2001 at 09:13:26:

In Reply to: Tuba Colleges posted by Need to KNow on April 13, 2001 at 22:48:15:

I already posted here, but here are SOME considerations to weigh:

- How well DOES the tuba teacher play the tuba? (Please notice that I didn't pose the question in the past tense.)

- How well-respected, well-known, well-connected, and well-liked by their colleages is the tuba teacher? (In the real world, this can open or close some doors.)

- How many success stories can you name related to this teacher? (former students in D.C. bands, college teaching jobs, professional orchestras, or currently in promising positions [Chicago Civic, etc.])

- See the second question above and ask the same sorts of questions (slightly altered to make "sense") about the school itself.

- Can you afford the tuition?

- If you CANNOT afford the tuition and are going to make terrible future sacrifices to pay the tuition (steep loans, etc.), do YOU have the "stuff" (so-called "talent"), the "willingness", and maturity, saavy (sell "well-liked" and "well-connected" above) and and the long term "drive" to make it "worth it"?

- Are you already "in love"? Being "engaged", etc. while you're trying to make yourself into an adult professional musician is like trying to run a marathon with a 50 lb. sack of flour on your back. (ready for flames, here)

Joe "I didn't complete this, because I have to eat breakfast and go to work." S.

Follow Ups: