Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stereo equipment poll

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson-About to Commit Hubris on April 14, 2001 at 14:24:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Stereo equipment poll posted by Chuck(G) on April 14, 2001 at 10:07:06:

Gene Porkorny and the vaunted St. Louis SO recording ain't got nothing, sonically or musically, on this recording. I always thought the St. Louis recording was greatly over-rated. I am now open to flames. Oh, my reasons for saying same.

1) Sonic Compression- the recording sounds like it was done in a carpeted garage.

2)Music- Slatkin is not one of our greatest interpreters. I find the music just lays there. This is especially evident in the slow movement. I didn't feel any forward movement or emotional intensity. It was kinda loud-soft lah-dee-dah playing.

3)The rest of the orchestra- While Mr. Pokorny sounds very nice, the rest of the orchestra is just not that great, particularly the woodwinds and the Principal Trumpet. I have a video of the present orchestra with Mr. Sanders and the present MD. They are much better as an ENSEMBLE and the tuba playing is still top notch.

These are opinions. I will defend them and not make a blind blanket statement without supporting evidence. Thanks for playing.

Chuck

Follow Ups: