Re: How good were you?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on April 15, 2001 at 20:00:15:

In Reply to: How good were you? posted by Kevin on April 15, 2001 at 18:50:07:

First,let me congratulate you on your GREAT choice of schools. I have heard Dave Zerkel through the years and can vouch for his MASSIVE talent on the tuba. He is also one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I graduated HS in 1978. I was 1st Chair NY All-State Band in 1976 and the Wind Ensemble in 1977. I attended SPAC in the summer of 1977. Through-out HS I studied with Kevin Ladd. My main repetoire was the Vaughn-Williams, Bell-Goltermann Concerto, Judas Maccabeus Variations, and the then new Broughton Sonata. I started on excerpts my senior year and worked out of Schlossberg, Blazevitch, and Kopprasch. Oddly enough, we spent little time on Rochuts. I felt I really grew as a musician in my two summers at the Brevard Music Center. I was a pro player for 20 years and recently have gotten "Baton Fever". I had a great run of playing, but now enjoy teaching*gasp* strings and conducting. I am still growing as a musician. You must do what your heart tells you. Please consider getting an ed degree. You can still play while you teach and you will still be actively involved in music. Good Luck to you and have a great life!!!!

Follow Ups: