Re: What do you charge?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on April 16, 2001 at 22:25:14:

In Reply to: What do you charge? posted by Part Time on April 16, 2001 at 14:47:24:

Many factors can come into play such as the area in which you live in regards to cost of living, etc..., number of professionals teaching, your level and popularity in the performing/private teaching field, and of course the ever "what the market will bear" reasoning. I would definitely find out what the norm is in your area that matches your level of teaching. For example, I live in D.C. where the norm for lesson ranges from $25.00 a hour for some to $40 for some of the DC guys to $75 or so for the major symphony guys (if you can get a lesson with them). I have heard the idea that money shouldn't matter, but my opinion is that whatever you feel you would pay yourself for a lesson, then you should charge that amount. I have made special arrangements with several students when there was a financial issue by giving or creating a scholarship. This gives value to the lesson especially in the parent's eyes and at the same time doesn't undercut the other teachers in the area.

Just my $0.02!

Mark

Follow Ups: