On sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 19, 2001 at 18:19:19:

Due to recent access problems I have not been able to take further part in the most recent sousaphone thread, whereas I have been able to read all contributions made after mine on the tenor sousa question.

From catalogues, net sites, and even ownership of a Conn 40K from 1927 and a Conn 26K from 1928 I have made some observations. Which I will present here to have responses telling me, whether I have got it all, or even partially, wrong.

The BBb sousaphone seems to be the most common. Existing in a wide variety of bores from light student models to very heavy monsters.

Generally the wrapping follows this pattern: From a couple of bits through a neck and a short conical piping into a 3 or 4 valved cluster. Then through a conical main tuning slide over a bow into the main circle, which is in 2 levels for about 300 degrees. Ending in 2 bends of about 90 degrees leading to the bell flare.

The Eb sousaphone is less common. Still made by some makers, but in relatively smaller numbers than a century ago.

The Eb sousa is less standardized than the BBb version.

A few models follow the BBb pattern, but as less length of tubing is available the valve cluster is often set rather low in the main circle. Samples are some older Kings and Yorks together with present day Werils.

More common is a pattern, where the tubing from the main tuning slide leads to a 360 degrees more or less oval wrap placed below the main tuning slide. From there leading through a bow to the main circle. Which is in one level all the way round. And then even 90 degrees of this main circle is of no acoustical effect, as it is "fake" tubing only put there for visual and structural purposes. As far as I have seen it Conns are made exlusively to this pattern, which also can be found in some Kings.

Tenor Bb sousaphones seem to be very rare. Until recently, the closest thing I have seen was a tenor helicon from a dealership collection in NC. The tenor sousa pictured in the recent thread looks much more elegantly made even if the bit-neck-receiver section looks a bit out of normal sousa proportions. And very vulnerable. The fake over-the-shoulder tubing also claims unusual proportions of lenth.

At least a decade ago Jupiter made an Eb alto "sousaphone". But not intended to be entered by the player. This tiny "sousanettino" was inted to be held in front of the player. A gimmick with a potential short lifespan.

I could have gotten such a Jupiter for a small amount of money, but I was not interested.

However, if any board member could point towards an accessible specimen of the Bb tenor sousaphone, I might be interested.

A comment on the idea to cut BBb sousaphones to CC: Try to find cylindrical portions of almost any sousa tubing. They will only be found in the bits, the valve slides, and in the main tuning slide.

The sousaphones might be considered the dirty guys of the tuba family. But when it comes to conicality, they are often among the most ideal tubas.

A final comment to RD: I guess you learned back in your first sousa-piano-duet days, that the detachable bell could be considered the ultimate tuning bit.

Klaus

Follow Ups: