Re: Re: Re: Retail Dealers and "Trial Periods"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp (THE Guy in CA) on April 20, 2001 at 11:46:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Retail Dealers and "Trial Periods" posted by Another Guy on April 20, 2001 at 10:34:22:

Well, you are right, I do take with Mr. Clements, but you are wrong if you are suggesting I was asking on HIS behalf.

I had in mind experience with two different potential buyers for a horn recently;
when we got down to actually working a deal out, the first wanted me to take payments of like 500 bucks a month. He was honest about being a student and not really being able to afford a tuba "right now." He was very understanding when I expressed my reservations about that.

More recently a fellow back east asked about a swap for a different horn, one which I was not at all interested in. Next he suggested I send the horn for him to try. If he didn't like it he was SURE "someone else" in his studio would want to buy it. He of course would be willing to pay the shipping. When I explained that generally people pay in advance for a horn and take it for a negotiated trial period, he then owned up to the fact that he didn't have any money!

'What is up with this?' I wondered, hence the question. It seemed reasonable to wonder what the dealers do, my experience in buying horns from dealers as well as private parties was always money-up-front. I just could NOT believe that merchants would ship horns out without some payment first If, generally speaking, a merchant would not (I thought to myself) why should I ?

Thanks to Matt and the others for sharing experience, also to Mike and others for the private e-mails. I think these kind of usually un-asked questions belong in a forum like Tubenet, and I think that ALL of us (especially younger players who dream of owning a horn) can benefit from a better understanding of how folks do business for such an imposing purchase as a tuba. Save your coins til it hurts, but do NOT sacrifice the money you are spending on tuition or lessons to get a horn. A good tuba will ALWAYS be available when you are ready for one.

Oh, one other thing, since a couple of replies mentioned Low Brass Werks in Campbell (just down the road from Los Gatos, actually) ...In my opinion Tony Clements has a superior business model for Low Brass Werks. As far as I know he developed this model on his own. He CERTAINLY doesn't need MY help to be successful, although if anyone who was shopping for a horn asked me, I'd suggest they contact Tony.
Now I on the other hand, need ALL the help I can get from Tony in my playing, which is why I take lessons and make furtive occasional efforts at practice. f.w.i.w.

hope this helps,

-dp

Follow Ups: