Re: Re: Re: Re: German F syndrome

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on April 22, 2001 at 12:10:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: German F syndrome posted by Art on April 21, 2001 at 09:27:24:

Art,
The tuba of which you speak is the same as a MW2165 Deck Model. This horn has the lighter bell which helps to aid in response. For a big tuba this one to me felt very secure and "slotty" in the low register. I think that mouthpiece choice has a lot to do with this. A large cup or funnel mouthpiece will let a horn this size get a little mush in the low register. This horn is better compared to a Holton or Conn tuba that has been cut to a CC. It is bigger especially in the first and second branch after the bottom bow than a pure York copy (York-brunner or Nirscl). For my ear, these horns tend to work better to blend the tuba voice in between the brass, strings and woodwinds as it seems to have less higher harmonics and a slightly duller, but projecting sound which blends better with the bass section than it does the brass section. The york copies possess just enough high harmonics to sound like more of a brass instrument and distinguish the brass choir better. Depending on what your looking for and how much vital capacity you want to exhaust quickly (these horns are BIG), this can be a great horn but I wouldn't call it a York copy just a 6/4 CC.
Matt G

Follow Ups: