Re: Summer Camps???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on April 23, 2001 at 22:32:39:

In Reply to: Summer Camps??? posted by Ryan Scherber on April 23, 2001 at 17:42:38:

Interlochen would be well worth considering. There are, according to their site, still places open for this summer. It is not cheap, but financial aid is available. Be quick in applying. 4 and 8 week terms are available.
I attended for two summers several years ago and found it an absolutely magnificent experience. Kathy Brantigan of Denver Brass was there at the same time and I believe that Roger Bobo also attended when he was a mere high school aged tuba wizz and, at least so the story goes, was "discovered" by Eastman while warming up on the Vaughn Williams one day. Another "success story" was Greg Posvistak who after a couple summers there went from high school straight into the Kansas City. (I believe he majored in medicine at uni, so there is a fall back position for you.)
A summer or two there, and maybe some time at the Interlochen Arts Academy can be a real sound start to a sound education leading to a good career. Oh yes, I must mention that my good old friend Brian Bowman also attended as did a very good trombonist name of Marstellar, and trumpeter Adel Sanchez (National Symphony), Erica Goodman, Harp and a lot of others in top orchestra spots around the world.
Back when i was there Rex Conner was the tuba teacher and he had the first Melton, AKA Mienl Weston I ever struck. He was using a Beuscher prior to that.
Some might say it is a bit overly competitive, but judging by the exponential rise in tuba talent that seems to have occurred over the last 30 years, getting used to some competition at an early age is an advantage.
With band, orchestra, brass ensembles, private lessons and a full all-round program it is hard to beat. The next step up at the time was Tanglewood and that is a very different story.
Give Interlochen serious consideration.

Follow Ups: