Re: Re: Re: Re: Why F tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg Crider on April 24, 2001 at 08:47:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Why F tuba? posted by Carl on April 24, 2001 at 08:26:17:

True. The question at this point becomes, though, do you stick strictly with the composer's intent, or do you do what sounds best to you? I know that many, if not most, conductors prefer for certain works to be played on big-throated rotary-valve C trumpets, as was common in the mid and early 1800's, but some prefer the sound of modern brass instead, feeling that modern instruments give a better sound. It's a difference in philosophy and perception. I tend to believe that the better sound should always be the paramount consideration, but I certainly understand the desire for historical accuracy and the composer's intent.

I think that the one influence that made me less concerned with the composer's intent was listening to Stravinsky conduct some of his own works. I have been a fanatic for Stravinsky for years, but I found that the least enjoyable renditions of his music were the ones that he personally conducted. It seemed that other conductors were better able to realize the spirit of his compositions than he was.

Follow Ups: