Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why C Tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brent Herhold on April 24, 2001 at 17:59:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why C Tubas? posted by s'alrite on April 24, 2001 at 00:55:09:

Thanks for stirring up memories. It was 1957 and I had heard Jake on a quintet recording. I was all of 14, had just started playing tuba, and thought it would be a good idea to study with him! What did I know? I called him and in his gentlemanly way he said he didn't usually take students of my age and experience, but he would meet me for one lesson. He told me to buy the Arban's book.

We met in the Loop at the Carl Fischer building, where he had a room to give lessons when he was in the downtown area (he usually taught in the basement of his home on the south side---86th. st. I think.) It was a postage-stamp-sized room with two chairs, a music stand, and a tuba. The horn was one of those things in the process of changing colors from dark gray to black. It had three upright valves and looked forever forgotten; sitting there on its bell in the stark florescent-lit room. Of course YOU know the end of the story. He pulled it up on his lap, put in his mouthpiece and proceeded to produce those "Jake Sounds." For this tuba player it WAS like dying and going to heaven. With his gentle, self-assured demeanor, and his absolutely amazing voice it was like being in the presence of God!

I am proud to say that he took me on as a student, and I studied with him through my college years. I am prouder to say that I knew him.

Brent

Follow Ups: