Re: Work vs. Talent

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason Harrell on April 25, 2001 at 23:28:10:

In Reply to: Work vs. Talent posted by Discouraged on April 25, 2001 at 22:13:00:

Hey, man, I know how you feel. Right now you see how far behind you think you are and it seems very overwhelming. I have felt that way several times too. The key to getting through it is TIME. Everything takes time. Not everybody develops at the same rate either. In a year or two they may start getting stumped like you are now and look at you and wonder the same thing. I am at a point where I am realizing what is out there in the real world of music that I am up against. It put me to shaking in my boots. Everyone else seems so far ahead of me. I am at a school not known for its output of high caliber musicians, but am here nonetheless because I know this is where is I'm supposed to be. Now my professor(s) are saying I should go to grad school and I just stare at 'em because I feel so encompetent(sp?) to go up against other players who go to high profile schools.

I rambled that out to say this: The underdog comes out on top more than you think. There is no sub for hard work and persistance. It takes time to reach goals, don't try to get there too quickly. I think you have the right work ethic and have goals set that you can work toward. Don't give up.

It is better to try and fail than not to try at all.(You won't fail.)

God bless,
Jason Harrell

Follow Ups: