Re: Re: Weril 4V Silverplated Euph or Besson 765

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 26, 2001 at 11:08:12:

In Reply to: Re: Weril 4V Silverplated Euph or Besson 765 posted by Hmmmm on April 26, 2001 at 09:22:03:

The 3+1 valve arrangement ih my favourite set-up. But in my eyes valve arrangements should not be decisive factors as long as no special circumstances of hand motoric handicaps have to be considered.

I find that one should consider mainly, if not exclusively, the musical potentials of an instrument. Lots of relevant parameters can be listed. For me it in the end comes down to which instrument I feel, that makes me tell the musical messages, which I want to transmit. (Despite my preferences I have only two 3+1 instruments, but four with 4 inline valves).

An interjection:

2 decades ago Schilke trumpets were very highly estimated over here. A student of mine, which I knew very well musically and personally, insisted in getting my help to purchase such a Schilke.

I had to counterinsist vehemently, as I sensed, that a large bore gold brass Bach was the real thing for him. Today we still are friends. And he still plays that Bach trumpet. Only I have to warn him, that he has to slowly adjust to a new trumpet, as the old Bach is wearing a bit too thin at several important parts of its structure.

That friend and that Bach trumpet were/are two parts of the same musical personality.

End of interjection!

I will never plead, that the Weril euph is at the same level as pro instruments like my YEP 641 or others. The valve cap’s threadings of the Weril is not the real thing for people with my lack of patience.

But I think of the Weril as an instrument, one can use for making music. Whereas the Besson 765, the YEP 321 or the Jupiter are something one hands out to have the parts covered in a beginners band.

This picture might sound arrogant, cynical, and drawn with too sharp contours. But at least it is not dishonest.

Klaus (getting no kickbacks from Joe S., only kicks in my behind)

Follow Ups: