Re: past-owned tubas...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Cary on April 26, 2001 at 13:57:20:

In Reply to: past-owned tubas... posted by jon schultz on April 26, 2001 at 12:51:27:

My tuba-owning days began as a freshman in high school. I paid $25 for a rather beaten-up up, silver, Conn 14K. I had it fixed up, and regretfully sold it my freshman year in college. My first "real tuba" was a Meinl-Weston Wm. Bell model CC tuba. I bought it my senior year in HS for $1400. It had been previously owned by a gentleman that had a music degree from U-Michigan. The horn had a ton of projection ability, but some really had some pitch issues. So, my freshman year at CMU, I sold it (actually traded it) for a Mirafone 186-5U CC. I ended up keeping that horn for 10 years, and sold it in 1995 for $3000. The 186-5U was a good horn, but lacked some of the power and projection ability I needed for playing gigs that I get nowadays, so in late 1994 I tried different tubas and ended up with a Kalison DS, in silver. In addition to the Kalison, I have a Conn 20K (paid $100 for it), and an old Conn, that I believe to be a 10J, in BBb.

Follow Ups: