Re: Flying with tuba and case

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Flying Tuba on April 26, 2001 at 16:34:43:

In Reply to: Flying with tuba and case posted by JHR on April 26, 2001 at 14:33:18:

Some airlines base oversize charges on the "dimensional size" of the item. The dimensional size is the height + width + length. The one airline that I am familar with requires the total dimensional inches to be less than 60. An oversize charge is assessed for items exceding that figure. Hardly any tuba case will fit within those dimensions. I have flown with a tuba many times and have never been charged oversize fees. Usually it is just overlooked when you check the horn. I would take measurements and weigh the horn, case and all the packing material and call the airlines that you are going to fly and find out if there will be any extra charges. If the answer is yes then prepare to pay but consider yourself lucky if you slip through the cracks. If the answer is no, then be prepared to fight some red tape at the airport and ultimately have to pay oversize charges anyway (what you are told over the phone by some facless person is not necessarly what will happen at the airport). In other words, hope for the best and expect the worst.

Good Luck!

Follow Ups: