Re: need help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SD on April 26, 2001 at 19:29:12:

In Reply to: need help posted by Pat Rinehart on April 26, 2001 at 18:29:17:

Hello,

As far as the horn is concerned...if it is the YBB321 it is a pretty well made horn. I had one in high school and I really enjoyed it. I paid a lot less than 3100 but I got an incredible deal. If that is a style of horn that you really like....then check out www.osmun.com they have a Holton that the Yamaha copied the 321 from. They are asking 2400. I would consider some other horns as well. While I was in South Bend I played a couple of great VMI BBflats at the Woodwind and Brasswind. They are a little more than you are talking about....but they were great tubas.

I would also have to agree with the poster that said you should not be forced into split decisions. If you are going to lay that kind of bread, you should get a chance to play it and mull over the decision.

Might I suggest having your son play a little longer before you make any decisions on horns? Get him some lessons with a pro and see if this is something he is in for the long haul. Having your own horn in high school is really nice...but I am not sure it is always necessary. I say this as a band director that knows a lot of students with great horns that they never practice. Take it at face value.

Good Luck!

Sean D.

Follow Ups: