Re: Re: Re: TUBA journal-YAWN!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on April 29, 2001 at 17:44:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: TUBA journal-YAWN! posted by Anon on April 29, 2001 at 14:43:49:

Grunt work?

Think again! All that is being asked is an article. It's not being suggested that you get it to the printer's. Or that you do the page layouts. Or apply address labels. Or lick envelopes. Or purchase bulk postage. Or any of the hundreds of other little tasks that must happen for the journal to happen. All you would have to do is attatch a file to an e-mail. IT DOESN"T EVEN HAVE TO COST YOU A STAMP! IT'S FREE! You don't even have to spell-check it! Any editor worth the cost of postage will do that for you. The writing of the articles is the EASY part. Have you never coordinated an organization's newsletter? I know from my own experience that producing a monthly newsletter for a group of 150 people is a cast-iron bitch. It can consume your life. How much more so the official journal of a professional organization?

Could YOU produce an article for each TUBA journal, keep them fresh, non-repetitive, informed, and timely in addition to the demands of your professional playing gigs, teaching, family requirements, and all of the aforementioned hundreds of little publishing tasks? WOULD you? From the text of your post, I would say no. Why then do you ask other people, volunteers all, to do what you are unwilling? These people are not writers or professional publishers, they're musicians.

Do you honestly believe that the doctors that are published in the JAMA or the NEJM are given a free subscription for a year simply because they sent in an article? No! They still pay for it. Same with any other scholarly/trade journal that I have ever heard of. If there is such a periodical as "Woodshop Journal", I'll bet the number of articles written by subscribers would startle you.

Get real, yourself. Unless and until we are willing to pony up BIG buck$ for subscriptions, the TUBA journal will be written, edited, and published by volunteers. I suspect that your reticence at supplying an article to TUBA/ITEA is simply because you have nothing to say that will make a difference in the tuba/euph world. Why else would you post anonymously?

You don't personnally have to send in an article, but don't dissuade others from doing so by needlessly clouding the issue. The fact of the matter is that if the membership wants to see change in the journal and the group at large, then it will come from activism within the membership. Not from fingerpointing or whining about getting gypped. You think you're getting gypped? How aboput the people that are working hard to keep putting out the journal and getting nothing but s**t for their labors?

End of rant

Follow Ups: