Re: Dumbest Lip Injuries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on April 29, 2001 at 21:32:58:

In Reply to: Dumbest Lip Injuries posted by SD on April 26, 2001 at 21:33:53:

True story...

While at UNT, one of my two trombonist roommates ate something that made him quite sick. He went to bed to "curl up and die" (his own words). While the third member of our household and I were on campus, this guy wakes up feeling really woozy and weird. He decides to go to the bathroom to wash his face and get a drink of water. Taking a few foggy-headed steps down the hallway, he blacks out in mid-stride! Being unconscious before hitting the floor, his natural instinct to break his fall with his own arms failed to kick in. So he came down face first...hard! The problem was made worse by the fact that he came down on the orange plastic cat food bowl that we kept in the hallway...

End result? He suffered a partially severed lower lip on his right side, with long orange shards of our kitty's plastic food bowl rammed deep up into his upper right gums. He lay there for a while until my other roommate arrived home and got him to the Emergency Room of Denton Regional.

After a LOT of work on him, he was sent home with half a million stitches. For a long time after this, he sat around looking like crap and depressing himself and everyone else...he was a really fine musician poised to win his first gig at the time of this accident.

He got into this therapy using magnets. It worked wonders. He was playing again only a few months after the muscle tissue healed. After a few more months of intense work on the horn, he was good as new. I am still absolutely amazed at how well he healed, and how hard work can overcome so many major hurdles.

Wade Rackley

Follow Ups: