Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TUBA journal-YAWN!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by well, true but on May 01, 2001 at 09:16:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TUBA journal-YAWN! posted by Steve Dedman on April 30, 2001 at 23:07:48:

but i think its a question of programming. how many tubists really know what they're playing when they play these pieces. no one should play the penderecki without first listening to some of his other works, either earlier stuff, but also the violin cappricio and most definitely the threnody for the victims of hiroshima. there is so much use of sound and silence in creating the music. if the players can explain and convey this to the audience, then we TEACH our audience to appreciate this music. We are all educators, whether we like it or not. I find Paganini to get terribly boring after a while, and yet there are parts of his violin caprices that have such great melodies that I wish they were further developed more interestingly. Certainly I think there is nothing wrong by playing a transcription, but the fact is by not playing now works we are doing a disservice to the composers, we are not encouraging new works to be written for the tuba. the hindemith is a great piece filled with lush overtone harmonies and post-WWII relics. The hindemith needs to be played with the same deference from a player as the violinist gives to the tchaik. violin concerto. I just don't often see that kind of devotion to rep. that many players don't take the time to understand or appreciate. We need to make the tuba world progressive, or else we will be in oompah land for the rest of our lives.

Follow Ups: