Re: Plans for tuba stand?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick on April 04, 2002 at 08:53:23:

In Reply to: Plans for tuba stand? posted by Chuck(G) on April 03, 2002 at 14:13:27:

I've been seriously considering gutting one of our armoires that is currently being used as an entertainment center. I'd store the horn without case in the top section and put the dent bag and other stuff in the bottom on one side and my stereo, tuba CD's and music on the other bottom side. A couple of kid locks should help keep the horn safe.

If I decide to make a stand, I'm going to get one of those nifty woodworking shape-fitters and use it to measure the curve of the bottom bow tubing (not around the horn but around the tube... if the tube is 3" in diameter, the radius will be close to 1.5"). Transfer that to some cardboard to cut out and fit the bottom piece (it's a whole lot less expensive than wood), then when the curve is set where I'd like it, transfer it to some nice 3/4" cherry, maple or oak. Cover that with some felt and I'm good to go. I'll probably set it up to lean one direction or the other rather than have it sit straight up. Kind of like a guitar stand, only wider and deeper.

Thanks

Rick

Follow Ups: