Re: HS band woes - argh

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by has gigs on April 09, 2002 at 20:44:52:

In Reply to: HS band woes - argh posted by Dan Mordhorst on April 09, 2002 at 18:52:08:

that's funny cuz all the pro's i know and play with (including myself) have the stands as low as possible with the slide over or to the side of the stand...NEVER below. The desired effect is sound to the audience, not the floor. Stan Kenton would demand so much as to just screw the pole and have the trumpet folders on the ground for them to play...while holding their trumpets parrallel to it...nothing impedes the sound that way...and in a big band, that is the goal. I know how it is to deal with director's and sometimes you just have to suck it up and go with him even though you know you may be right (even though there really is no standard to the correct horn placement). It's his band and if he wants to stink it up with all the sound pointing to the floor, let him embarrass himself. You'll succeed enough times to get to do it right in the future at perhaps local honor jazz bands and those at the state level, or even normal gigs. Just remember that there is life after high school and your future success is not dependent on your director, so you still have hope...

Follow Ups: