Re: Eb or F Tubas (Inexpensive)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on April 13, 2002 at 23:21:32:

In Reply to: Eb or F Tubas (Inexpensive) posted by Wayne Rice on April 13, 2002 at 22:29:07:

Hey Wayne,
To get it out of the way, good things to know. What sounds do you want? What will you use it for? blah, blah blah (some one will mention it sooner or later)
Now, my choice for a small horn was Eb. When I tried horns, to my ear, all the Eb's had a bit more of a tubbier sound, and the F's were more euphish.
On my first go, I found I really liked the Besson 983 Eb (Actually, I liked at the Besson Eb's sound, but this had a front action set-up I'm use to). When I look back at it, I really do like its sound, but it was close in sound to my CC, and I wanted something with a more compact sound, but still tuba-in-nature, and most F's that still were to euph like, or CC like.
A good F (i think) was the small Yamaha YFB-621. It was rock solid, even in the low end. But, it doesn't have the same character to the sound that most F's do. Some people think the sound is dead, or has no character. I just think it means that is not the right horn for them. When I tried a few of the major F's on the market, I thought they sounded bland when I played them, so I decided they weren't the horn for me (I'm not going to say the 45S-LP, or PT-line, sucks because I did not like them, which a lot of people say about the Yammy, because they personally don't like it, and it doesn't fit them). These horns also seem to come up used quite often. I think a lot of people use them as a first F, then go to something that helps them get their sound
If you have a way, go to a major dealer and try some horns, just get an idea of what you do and don't like, and why.

Steve C

BTW, I ended up with a Cerveny Eb. I got lucky and found one at a great price and grabed it. Its got the hard to center low C, but when I'm with the horn for about half-an-hour, its not a problem, and it does help me produce that sound in my head ;-)

Follow Ups: