Re: Re: Re: I need a new tuba!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on April 02, 2003 at 01:41:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: I need a new tuba! posted by Brad on April 01, 2003 at 21:35:22:

In my opinion, that is not a really good thing to say. Buying a tuba is an investment. When you get out of highschool, will you miss playing tuba at all? There are always community bands and college bands lookin for tuba players, but they normally can't provide the instruments. Even if you decide you don't want to play tuba after highschool, you can probably sell a tuba that you bought used for near the same price as long as you have taken care of it. You can get a used 4/4 BBb

Some music stores rent horns. That's an option.

Sometimes there are ways for the school to give you a grant for some money. I think there is a way for this to be tax deductable for the school somehow. When I was at Baldwin Wallace they gave me a couple thousand dollars towards buying an F tuba because it was necessary in order to complete my degree and continue in my career (I'm still workin up to that point.)

A decent used BBb tuba will start at as low as $1500 and sometimes less. Granted, you get what you pay for. It sounds like it will definitely benefit you exponentially. The summer before my freshman year I was able to make enough money to cover my insurance, my gas, as well as 4000 for tuition. Being that you're in highschool, if you have a decent job you could probably do it. just have to explain it properly to your parents. The resale thing should really help.

Man... Good luck
Jim

Follow Ups: