Re: Re: Trying out tubas in NC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 03, 2003 at 11:50:21:

In Reply to: Re: Trying out tubas in NC posted by Paul Gramann on April 02, 2003 at 22:00:05:

Several tuba stores have earned the reputation that anybody can walk into them with any budget and get advice in the person's best interest from the tuba expert at the store. These are the stores most loved and recommended by tuba players.

There are a couple of tuba salesmen who have the reputation for being rather aggressive and opinionated, but even these can also have a solid reputation for giving good advice to the person standing in front of them in a store.

The store in North Carolina has not earned the reputation for giving advice in the best interests of their customers. Whether this reputation is deserved or not doesn't matter: The prudent person will assume it to be the case as a matter of protection.

Of course, that doesn't mean the tubas in the store are necessarily incompetent, or that they are even bad deals. It does mean that you go into them prepared to keep your own counsel and not expect advice in your best interest from the tuba expert at the store. Were I a non-expert going to such a store, I would do just as you say and bring an expert that I trusted with me. I would go so far as to suggest paying a professional (my teacher?) to watch over my decision. I'd think of it as a lesson on how to buy a tuba.

Rick "not afraid to buy from salespeople, but careful about whose advice he heeds" Denney

Follow Ups: