Re: Looking for opinions on Eb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on April 03, 2003 at 22:03:20:

In Reply to: Looking for opinions on Eb's posted by Adam on April 03, 2003 at 19:22:35:

The Willson is a fine instrument, but you pay for it. It has a very dark and big sound.

Of the Besson Ebs I prefer the 981. It is the 3+1 compensator. (I play an old Boosey & Hawkes which is similar, especially since I put a 981 leadpipe on it. The older Boosey seems to have heavier guage metal though and I like the tone of my old one slightly better then the new ones I have played.) The Besson 983 is a smaller horn, and a bit more soloistic sounding. It would be nice for the solo and chamber work. It might be a bit small for the larger band or orchestral stuff. This is Patrick Sheridan's horn.

MW makes a nice five valver (#2141?). Intonation can be funky, esp on older models. I understnd they have updated the model a few years ago to improve the intonation. it has the big valve set on it which is a stretch for my pudgy little fingers.

I haven't played a Yamaha in a few years but back int he day I wasn't that fond of it. It seemed a little light and lacked presence. The newer ones may be different.

Played a Nirschl for about 5 minutes and loved it but it costs about $8000.

I was on the market for a new Eb two years ago and played many of them at that time. I opted to get some work done to my Boosey. I put in nylon valve guides, changed the leadpipe to the 981, added a Dillon AGR, and permanently mounted a Stewart Stand on to it. So I am good to go for now. Perhaps someone has more recent info however.

ken k

Follow Ups: