Re: Oil : BiNak vs. Hetman's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham W. on April 04, 2003 at 00:15:54:

In Reply to: Oil : BiNak vs. Hetman's posted by Larry on April 03, 2003 at 13:03:54:

When I got my CB50, it originally had Binak on it. One of the great things about Binak is that a drop of it goes such a long way. I still have just as much Binak as when Ike handed me the bottle. I don't think I would ever run out of it.

But when my fourth valve was too sluggish to play the second movement of Marcello's Sonata in F at a reasonable tempo, I knew something was up. Binak is a very viscous valve oil and even with a drop or half a drop, it seems like that could even still be too much. I had cleaned my valves repeatedly with alcohol and reoiled with no noticable results that would last. I gave my horn to Lee and told him the problem. When I got it back, the Hetman's oil was on it and I bought a bottle (clever marketing scheme Lee!! :-) and I have found the latter to work better for my valves. Getzen's have particularly tight valves from what people tell me, so it is certainly something to consider.

My opinion FWIW,

Graham W.

Follow Ups: