Re: Re: Martin Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on April 04, 2003 at 12:28:05:

In Reply to: Re: Martin Tubas posted by Rick Denney on April 04, 2003 at 11:17:22:

I also saw a picture of a 4 valve top action horn on the Cool Tubas site - I recall it was played by someone in the Spike Jones (anyone but me old enough to remember him?) band. I also remember seeing a picture of a Martin recording bass with a bell so big that the face of the bell would lie flat on the loor with the body of the horn sticking up at an angle. I think it had a 30" bell

I haven't had time to lay this horn alongside the Conn and see which is bigger, although I think the Conn would be the larger horn - certainly heavier. But the feel of the Martin is completely different - quite nicely focused and pretty agile, less organ-like in tone. The horn also feels better balanced physically, but this might just be a consequence of lighter overall weight.

The leadpipe ends so close to the throat of the horn that I think it would be impossible to play without two tuning bits. The horn came with two bits, and they were interesting in and of themselves, as each one had a fairly sharp angle between the two branches. There was also a nice little thumbscrew and clamping arrangement on both leadpipe and tuning bit so you could set them into position and lock them there, sort of like what you'd find on a sousie gooseneck.

The screws that clamp the bell to the body are also quite fancy and nicely turned and knurled - I don't think they did NC turning in those days so it certainly looks like there was a lot of hand work in the horn.

I'll take a few pictures in the next couple of days and post them on my web site.

Follow Ups: