Re: Re: band director needs help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mahler1 on April 04, 2003 at 18:07:12:

In Reply to: Re: band director needs help posted by Josh on April 04, 2003 at 15:53:12:

St. Petersburgs are exactly what I have at my school right now. I do not know if my band director knew much about tubas when he bought these, but to put it very bluntly...they suck really bad. I have had to play on them for two years. I don't know how, but I have made All-State on them for two years now, and I got a 9 out of 10 on my tone quality. I am amazed at the score I got. I am wondering how I did this, considering that the horns break up so easily. If anyone might enlighten me on how I might have possibly done so well with this crappy horn, it would be appreciated. I have no idea how I did so well.
Anyways, we have three tuba players in our top band, that has about 60-70 members in it. All of us are very good players. My freind, the first chair player has the money to buy a CC horn and has gotten a PT-4. I am in great need of a horn, and am not in the financial situation to get a horn. Yes, I have asked about scholarships from
the band and other possibly financially helpful sources, but none have worked. Due to some unstated finances that my parents would not allow me to be spreading around to other people that they don't know...I can tell this. They are not able to get a loan or anything of the sort. They have looked into it, and have not been able to do anything. My parents, band director, private teacher, and some other people I know have been trying to help out as much as they could. Nothing has come of it except me having to get a summer job. Due to my parents not being able to donate to my tuba fund, the money will only increase a little every summer. Right now I am a sophmore in highschool. Does anyone have any suggestions as of what to do in my situation? Any useful comments are appreciated. Thanks for listening. Also, any idea what my band director should buy next time we buy horns?

Follow Ups: