Dukes of Dixieland - Lowell Miller

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on April 06, 2003 at 14:54:11:

I finally obtained a copy of one of the D-of-D l.p.'s formerly not in my collection - ON CAMPUS with the Dukes of Dixieland (1958).

' no dixieland "standards"...a bunch of "college" songs (many now by the wayside) played as only the Assuntos could play them. A few recognizable tunes on the l.p. are Rambling Wreck from Georgia Tech, Notre Dame Victory Song, On Wisconsin, Sweetheart of Sigma Chi, and (if you're at least 40 years old) Buckle Down, Winsocki ("Buckle up for safety. Buckle up." - early 60's television seat belt p.s.a.)

I was impressed with Lowell Miller's tuba playing. Lowell was no Rich Matteson, but this l.p. actually featured Lowell on a few tracks, and his tuba work was very respectable. On the posed album cover, it appears as though Lowell was holding a satin-silver York 4/4 4-piston top-action BBb (19-1/2" bell / "squat" version).

Unlike most of the D-of-D albums, the band employed both Bill Porter (fabulous string bass man) and Lowell Miller. On other recordings, either Lowell or Bill doubled on both instruments.

Follow Ups: