Re: Re: Irresistible Greasy Dives

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 08, 2003 at 12:30:06:

In Reply to: Re: Irresistible Greasy Dives posted by Burgers and Seafood on April 08, 2003 at 09:10:30:

The great greasy-spoon joints in San Antonio know no bounds. There is the Tip-Top on Fredericksburg Road (if it is still there, which I fervently hope it is). My most memorable quote from the Tip-Top came from the waitress who had been serving food their since about 1952, when I asked for a clarification of the difference between the veal cutlet and chicken fried steak, she responded, "Well, honey, the meat's the same, but the veal cutlet is breaded in corn meal." How can you not patronize a place like that? And don't forget the chocolate creme pie.

And then there's Brown's Mexican Foods, on South Hackberry. They know what onions are for; bring your Tums.

And the ever-popular Blanco Cafe, on Blanco Road just south of Hildebrand. You'll be afraid to step into the joint, but overcome your fear.

But next time I'm around there (which I hope is this year), I'll have to find a reason to go through Burnet.

Rick "homesick for San Antonio" Denney

Follow Ups: