Re: Musicians Earplugs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on April 08, 2003 at 23:01:27:

In Reply to: Musicians Earplugs posted by Steve Marcus on April 07, 2003 at 20:50:59:

I've been supplied with Etymotics earplugs, with either the 15 or 12 dB filters.

Yes, the fit takes a bit to get used to. Having a clear ear canal for both fitment and use is pretty much required, although it's really more important for the initial molding.

They sound fine, as far as the rest of the room is concerned. You'll still hear the S's in speech and cymbals with reasonable clarity, and everything is quieter overall. It's not a purely smooth spectrum, but it's much better than foam earplugs.

The way you sound to yourself is quite different, however. You'll hear your own pitch better -- it's like putting a finger to one ear to hear your sound go through your head. However, you won't be able to hear your tone quality nearly as easily. If the rest of the ensemble is REALLY loud (I believe we in the Marine D&B have been measured around 135 dB as part of a workspace risk assessment), you might not notice that you're firing some healthy doses of edge from the bell. In some high-volume cases, you'll have to learn to play dynamics by feel, which may turn out to be a more reliable method anyway.

You'll also notice, with sobering clarity, what your tongue & oral cavity are doing.

I would definitely recommend earplugs to anyone in an extended high-SPL situation. A basic SPL meter from Radio Shack can help decide on whether they're needed, and how strong the attenuation needs to be.

Follow Ups: