Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Repair estimate

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on April 09, 2003 at 21:55:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Repair estimate posted by Dean on April 09, 2003 at 21:17:30:

Personally, I wouldn't touch it - since your hope is that it will be repaired and still have excellent cosmetics.

Given this scenario, this is a "no win" for a repair tech. The very best it will look is "almost as good" (without considerable expense) and the repair could easily look like a mess.

Again, the "low temperature" soldering can be messy and really won't be a strong repair. Silver soldering (a strong yet difficult repair) the crack would be absolutely devastating to the silver plating anywhere within two square inches of the crack. I think this is probably why no one has given you a price.

Like I recommended earlier, your instrument will look a lot more "honest" to a consumer with no repair whatsoever. Any potential consumer neurotic enough to worry about a cracked hand bar would surely worry much more about a repaired one - particularly if it looks like a mess...and many potential consumers would see the crack and think, "Oh, that's nothin' - as long as it doesn't buzz."

Follow Ups: