Re: Re: Getting sharper

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dave on April 10, 2003 at 12:24:11:

In Reply to: Re: Getting sharper posted by A Sample on April 10, 2003 at 08:00:38:

Good questions!

My embouchure has actually changed a lot, even though the position of the mouthpiece
has not changed:

my lips have more muscle mass and I use more pressure and diaphragm in the middle register than I used to for the same volume level. Pedal notes are easier to play and high register requires less strain. This is primarily due to low register practice, increased airflow, more relaxed playing, more open air passage, using a single embouchure position for all notes with minimal visible movement; all of these are things that Tony has had me work on. There have been substantial changes in all of these aspects of my embouchure.

I used to be able to buzz a scale with my lips (no mouthpiece) with relative ease, now it is not so easy, the mouthpiece has to be there.

It is still a surprise to me that the intonation changed that much in five months, but
it makes sense after looking at it from this perspective. Thanks for asking the right
questions.

-Dave Erickson

Follow Ups: