Re: A question of small horns...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 10, 2003 at 23:20:30:

In Reply to: A question of small horns... posted by Rob on April 10, 2003 at 22:57:39:

That quintet requirements is a biggie. Much quintet lit goes low, and not all F tubas seem to me to make it easy to go low. A lot of solo lit goes low, too.

B&S F tubas are quite popular, but I find them hard to play over a wide range. They were a major step forward in their day, and I've heard wonderful music come from them, but you have to be pretty devoted to them to master those low notes, and I've heard them flubbed by the best tuba players in the world.

The last PT-15 I played had a high F that was a good 15 cents flatter than the low F, but that was probably that instrument.

For your requirements, I would suggest either of the Yamaha F's, the 621 or the 822, the Willson F or Eb, the Gronitz F (which I haven't played but I like the way Tony describes it), or, if you want rotaries, the Willson rotary F, the Miraphone 181, or the Rudy Meinl 5/4 F. Of these, the 621 is the smallest and the best suited for high solo work, and may not produce the kind of sound you want in the orchestra (though I've heard it played well in orchestras). All the others on the list won't have that problem. If you can't find a sound you like in that wide range of instruments, then you are picky indeed, heh, heh.

Rick "expecting to get roasted by the M-W and PT fans" Denney

Follow Ups: