NAABA-Grimethorpe Colliery UK Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin Miller on April 11, 2003 at 08:53:47:

Attention One, Attention ALL!!

Anyone within road tripping distance from Little Rock Arkansas pay attention now.
Load up your vehicle and get thee to Little Rock to see of one the greatest playing and most entertaining brass bands in the world! I saw Grimethorpe Colliery(of Brassed Off fame)play last night and I must tell you it was the greatest musical experience of my life. I am not a neophyte, wet behind the ears concert goer either. I have seen multitudes of premier military bands, world class brass quintets, and orchestras and bands of all types. None of these compare to the power, and delicacy of this ensemble. When was the last time a pp passage in the music broght tears to your eyes? THey did it for me last night on, of all things, Barnum & Bailey's Favorite. A bombastic war horse march in the hands of most; a dazzling display of musicality when played by these guys. Their commandand and control of dynamics is beyond description. You must experience it first hand to appreciate it. The tubas? As described by conductor Gary Cutt, " A Rolls-Royce tuba section". Believe me, that is the understatement of the century. Not only do they play magnificently, they have some great shtick also. The gala concert is on Saturday at Robinson Center Auditorium at 8:00, 7 Statehouse Plaza, 501-376-4781. Check out this link on its location.
http://mapsonus.switchboard.com/bin/maps-maponly/usr=~3e96c353.73a8c.4204.5/c=1/refsrc=SB.newsb/isredir=1/

Follow Ups: