Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: chicago excerpt record

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on April 13, 2003 at 12:19:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: chicago excerpt record posted by Tabor on April 12, 2003 at 18:02:14:

Not at all. The other poster to your reply well knows the value of Elvis memorabilia.

But there is also a number of individuals who hold the belief that "vinyl sounds better" because it's an analog process. And that might well be the case for some records, but not this one. I wanted to warn the original poster of this. There's also a fair amount of print-through audible on the LP.

It's a shame that one or two cuts weren't omitted from the second side so that the amplitude could have been brought up to something resembling normal. Also, some recorded narrative might have made interpretation of what's happening easier. But it's nice that the recording exists at all.

I've listened to this LP (and the subsequent CD) for a few years and wondered what its real value was. After all, there are enough really good recordings of the section doing excerpts when under then baton of some really great conductors--you just have to purchase the recording of the entire work in question--which isn't a bad thing--it gives the excerpts context that the "excerpts" LP alone doesn't. It's sort of like listening to a CD of the left hand part of the Rachmaninov 3rd piano concerto--a real wonder, but gives you very little context. Now, if you had Kissin playing the left hand part, explaining why he does thus-and-so, that'd be a real prize.

My worthless rambling thoughts only.

Follow Ups: